There are several ways to learn about learning analytics at UW-Madison. Evaluation Design & Analysis collaborates with the Learning Analytics Roadmap Committee (LARC), the Vice Provost for Teaching & Learning and others to provide the following opportunities and resources.
Community of Interest for Learning Analytics
If you are interested in obtaining updated information about learning analytics opportunities and events on campus, please join the UW-Madison Learning Analytics team or email LearningAnalytics@office365.wisc.edu and request to be added to the group.
Learning Analytics Presentation Series
A series of learning analytics related session are presented each semester. For more information about topical presentations about learning analytics, please check out the events page.
Fellowships are offered by DoIT Academic Technology’s Faculty Engagement service as another way to deeply engage with instructors across campus about specific topics. Each fellowship has a specific goal and focus of discussion. The following are ones focused on learning analytics.
Learning Analytics Fellowship – Spring 2019
The Blended Learning Fellowship on Learning Analytics is focused on building upon the work that was completed in Spring 2018, and increasing awareness and knowledge about learning analytics across campus. More information is available here.
Blended Learning Fellowship on Evidence-Based Teaching – Spring 2018
The Blended Learning Fellowship on Evidence-Based Teaching used evidence-based teaching as a lens to approach teaching and learning practices. The fellowship focused on learning analytics as one approach to evidence-based teaching and shared their recommendations with LARC, which has helped inform upcoming projects and strategy for campus. The fellowship created deliverables to share with campus, which are available here.
Here are links to some helpful resources and sites about learning analytics.
Materials from Past Learning Analytics Events
- Explore Course-Level Data with Tableau Visualizations – presented by Clare Huhn & Jocelyn Milner, February 21, 2019
- Course-Level Dashboard (& Analytics Beta – Canvas) – presented by Kari Jordahl, James McKay, Garrett Smith & Xizhou “Canoe” Xie, November 13, 2018
- The Importance of Meaning: Turning Big Data into Real Understanding (video) – presented by David Williamson Shaffer, October 16, 2018
- 6 Ways to Use Learning Analytics: a Functional Taxonomy – presented by Sarah Hagen & Sarah Traynor, September 18, 2018
- Active Teaching Lab Recap: Canvas Analytics – September 7, 2018
- Canvas Analytics: Instructor Perspectives on Course Analytics – presented by Amanda Margolis, Mark Millard & Catherine Arnott Smith, April 26, 2018
- Data Visualizations & Infographics (It looks cool, but what is it telling you?) – presented by Cid Freitag, March 20, 2018
- Using Pattern to Log Course Activities – presented by Miguel Garcia-Gosalvez, Heather Kirkorian, James McKay, & Kim Arnold, February 21, 2018
Support Documentation for Tools Used on Campus
- How do I view Canvas Course Analytics?
- How do I view a context card for a student in a course?
- How do I view analytics for a student in a course?
- How do I view the course access report for an individual user?
- Canvas student course access and anonymous course reports (3rd party tool)
- How do I view Kaltura Media Analytics?