- This event has passed.
STS: Photoshop 1
Thursday, June 10 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmRegister
Attending STS Sessions Online
All Software Training for Students workshops sessions are currently being delivered remotely via Zoom. Our room can be accessed from the following link:
To attend the workshops, we recommend the following:
IMPORTANT: Photoshop is free for all UW-Madison students to download until August 20, 2020. Instructions on how to do so can be found here. After August 20, 2020, students can download a free 7-day trial for any Adobe CC product from the Adobe website with a non-school email address. We recommend you download the software a day before your scheduled workshop.
Adobe Photoshop is the industry-standard tool for digital image editing. In this workshop, students learn how to navigate the Photoshop interface, apply the fundamentals of digital photo correction and incorporate different tools and techniques to create a poster.
After completing this workshop, learners will know:
- The basics of the Photoshop interface including Tools, Panels, and Layers
- The control/modifier keys (Alt/Option, Cmd/Ctrl, Shift) and when to use them
- What Adjustment Layers are and why we use them
- What pixel dimensions and image resolution are
- The difference between RGB and CMYK color modes
and will be able to:
- Navigate the Photoshop interface
- Use the Crop and Straighten Image tools
- Resize images
- Add and adjust the following Adjustment Layers: Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Color Balance
- Use the History Panel to adjust multiple levels of Undo/Redo
- Remove Red-Eye from images
- Remove blemishes with the Spot Healing brush
- Create and edit new documents
- Add and edit text with the Type tool
- Create selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Save and export documents in a variety of formats.
Workshop Manual and Class Files:
Note: these files are available through the STS Canvas course. If you are not enrolled, click here to enroll
Anyone interested in learning how to edit, manipulate, and create images using Adobe Photoshop.
Basic computing skills.
Note: Software Training for Students services are only available to currently registered undergraduate or graduate students of UW-Madison. Faculty, staff and former students are not eligible to attend our training workshops or consultations.