- This event has passed.
Friday, September 18 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmRegister
Attending STS Sessions Online
All Software Training for Students workshops sessions are currently being delivered virtually via Blackboard Collaborate Ultra and can be accessed from within the STS Canvas course.
To attend the workshops, do the following:
- Enroll in the STS Canvas Course (if you are not already enrolled)
- After enrolling, click the link to our BB Collaborate Ultra page
- Find the name of the workshop you'd like to attend and click the Join Session button.
- Recommended: Download the class files for the session by finding the corresponding workshop manual in the Modules section of the course.
Go to https://repo.miserver.it.umich.edu/cran/ and download R for the first time.
Go to https://rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/ and download the free version of RStudio on your own machines. Follow the steps in the wizard and open up RStudio.
R is a free, open-source software and programming language for statistical computing and graphics. R is particularly popular for its graphical capabilities, but it is also prized for its GIS capabilities which make it relatively easy to generate raster-based models.
Topics Covered Include:
- Setting up R and RStudio
- Basic Syntax
- Matrix and DataFrames
- Importing Data
- Working with Data
- Basic Charting and Plotting
Anyone interested in learning the basics of R and R Studio
Basic computing skills
Note: Software Training for Students services are only available to currently registered undergraduate or graduate students of UW-Madison. Faculty, staff and former students are not eligible to attend our training workshops or consultations.