Login to Canvas
Canvas is a cloud-based, vendor-hosted learning management system (LMS). Based on positive results from pilot studies and campus feedback, Canvas was adopted as the single, centrally supported UW-Madison LMS in 2016.
- Easy-to-use, learner-centered, content-focused design
- Core LMS functionality, such as grading, quizzing, calendaring, discussions and more
- SpeedGrader feature allows simple grading with timely feedback options
- Browser-based interface works on multiple devices
- iOS and Android apps for students and instructors
- Frequent feature and tool updates
- Graphic analytics reporting engine
- Robust notifications
- Integrated with Kaltura MediaSpace, Blackboard Collaborate and Collaborate Ultra, Piazza, Top Hat, Google Apps and many other external tools
- Holistic integration of learning outcomes, rubrics and grading
- Rich, multimedia feedback options (including text, audio and video commenting in messages, assignments, course discussions, graded work and grade submissions) — without downloading and re-uploading files
- Integration with the university’s Student Information System (SIS) to provide auto-creation of courses and rosters
- High-quality end-user documentation in the Canvas Community
- Is there a feature you’d like to see developed? This request form can be submitted and campus will review your request and then contact the vendor. Before submitting a request, please review the previously submitted requests to see if your request has already been made and what the accompanying status is.
- UW-Madison’s instance of Canvas is integrated with an ever-growing number of third-party tools.
- For information on how to request an integration with Canvas, see this document.
There are a variety of ways that Canvas can help enhance your teaching. Examples include:
- Deliver course materials
- Assess learning
- Provide interactive learning experiences, including discussions
- Score and provide feedback on assignments and quizzes
- Connect with your students outside of the classroom
- Foster online discussion or enhance in class discussion. More information on the value of online discussions is available in the “What are the pedagogical uses of online discussion boards” guide.
To log in to Canvas, access the Learn@UW Madison Course Dashboard. You can also click on a course link in the MyUW “Courses” app.
Trainings and other Canvas-related events offered by DoIT Academic Technology are listed in this calendar.
- Learn@UW Madison Canvas KnowledgeBase
- Canvas Community: Documentation from Instructure on how to use Canvas and a forum to ask questions and get answers on Canvas
- Web accessibility guidelines
- Request Form for a Sandbox Course: A sandbox course is helpful to have when taking a training or other event where you do not want to alter your actual course
The DoIT Help Desk provides instructors, staff and students with free tech support and troubleshooting help by phone at 608.264.4357, email at firstname.lastname@example.org and chat at helpdesk.wisc.edu. In-person support is also available at all DoIT Tech Store locations. Visit helpdesk.wisc.edu for hours and more information.
The Learn@UW-Madison team is also available to consult with instructors and instructional staff on selecting and using the right learning technology to improve student success. You can contact us via email at email@example.com. In addition, the Learn@UW KnowledgeBase offers helpful documents for instructors, course owners and students.