The September 22, 2017 Active Teaching Lab explored Canvas wayfinding. Lane Sunwall from DoIT Academic Technology’s Learner Experience: Training & Support service shared tips and tricks to keeping students on track in Canvas.
- Instructor presence helps students engage and succeed
- Using Google Slides Q&A to solicit participant feedback
- Includes custom Course Card to set his course apart from the generic colored-tile courses
- Welcome page as home page: Keep it dynamic
- Break up pages: We scan pages; put most important info at top
- Course organization: Don’t make students think about wayfinding (save thought energy for course content)
- Manually drag finished modules to bottom, so the next one will be at the top for students to find easily
Active Teaching Labs are held Fridays from 8:30-9:45am (and every other Thursday from 1-2pm, see events calendar for dates) in room 120, Middleton Building. Check out upcoming labs or read recaps from past labs. To stay informed about upcoming Labs, sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to email@example.com.
Watch the live stream:
Get started with Canvas Course Design: