To help instructors and teaching assistants prepare for the new semester, Faculty Engagement will offer Teaching Effectively in Canvas sessions in January. Each of the four topics — Applying Learning Principles, Assessment, Interactive Learning and Individual Learning — introduce techniques to make high-quality teaching easier in the learning management system.
Each session focuses on effective teaching practices and demonstrates ways to apply them in the Canvas learning management system. Sessions include time to begin applying the content with help from consultants, so participants should bring their laptop and come with a Canvas “sandbox” course space to work in (see canvasinfo.wisc.edu).
For people without Canvas experience, the in-person training courses would be beneficial to attend prior to the Teaching Effectively in Canvas sessions. The Teaching Effectively in Canvas sessions and the training sessions take place Sterling Hall room 2425, 475 N Charter St. To register click below on the desired date.
Descriptions & Registration:
- Applying Learning Principles in Canvas focuses on implementing evidence-based learning principles and Universal Design for Learning so students feel empowered to connect prior experiences and personal learning preferences with course content in Canvas — in a way that fits your teaching style.
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 1-3pm. Register here.
- Assessment in Canvas helps you develop and apply smart assessment strategies to course objectives, to get and give good feedback that strengthens student learning — and do it more efficiently than you imagined in Canvas!
- Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 1-3pm. Register here.
- Interactive Learning in Canvas examines student-to-student active learning and explores how to use Canvas to create and enrich cooperative learning opportunities for students.
- Thursday, January 11, 2018, 1-3pm. Register here.
- Designing Individual Learning in Canvas offers examples and practices in Canvas to ensure students come to class prepared to interact with instructors and classmates.
- Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 9-11am. Register here.
Canvas, like D2L, is part of the Learn@UW-Madison suite of learning technologies and is supported by DoIT Academic Technology. Our Learner Experience: Training & Support service provides in-person training events such as Getting Started with Canvas and Managing Grades in Canvas. Additional resources for Canvas users include the UW-Madison Canvas KnowledgeBase, the Canvas Instructor Guide, consultations and online training. Visit canvasinfo.wisc.edu for all available resources, the timeline for when your unit is scheduled to move to Canvas and updates about the campus transition to Canvas.